Dean Bokhari's Self Development blog + podcast. Weekly articles, podcasts, and book summaries to help you build your most meaningful life, both personally and professionally.
204. Turning Weakness into Strength | Versions Available: Article, Podcast | A few days ago, the wife and I found out that our two year-old, Nora—who’d been coughing and crying and causing all kinds of chaos—had caught pneumonia. So we took her to our pediatrician, who [...]
203. Skin in the Game | Versions Available: Article, Podcast | “What matters isn’t what a person has or doesn’t have; it is what he or she is afraid of losing.“—Nassim Nicholas Taleb (from Skin in the Game) | Once upon a time, a wild wolf stumbles his way into a [...]
202. The Compound Effect | Versions Available: Article, Podcast | The Compound Effect - Book Summary | Read or Listen to the first 3 Big ideas from 'The Compound Effect' by Darren Hardy
201. Idea Killers | Versions Available: Article, Podcast | Throughout your fantastic life, you'll likely interact with a range of different people. Some of them will be awesome. Some of them will not. The worst among them? Idea killers. Here's how to handle them...
12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos - Book Summary | Read or Listen to the first 3 Big ideas from '12 Rules for Life' by Jordan B. Peterson
200. Stand Up Straight With Your Shoulders Back | Versions Available: Audio (Podcast), Article | Today's piece was inspired by the book '12 Rules for Life' by Jordan Peterson. In this piece, we'll look at three of Peterson's 12 rules.
199. Are You a Morning Person, Night Owl, or Somewhere in the Middle? | Versions Available: Audio, Show Notes | In this episode we'll take a look at how to determine your "Daily When" the time of day when you're operating at your natural best (from When by Daniel Pink)
198. How to Make Yourself Indispensable | Versions Available: Audio, Article | How indispensable do you believe yourself to be …to your employer? …to your customers? …to anyone you rely on to regularly exchange value with?
EP197. Focus on The Practice • It’s the new year, and by now you’ve probably reflected on the past and you’ve probably started setting some resolutions and goals for the
195/6. 30 More Life Lessons Learned in 30 Years | A follow-up article + podcast to last year's "30 Life Lessons" piece.
194. Find Your Why • Available versions: Article | Podcast • In this piece, you'll learn how to construct a powerful WHY Statement - which is how you communicate your purpose to the world.
193. The Willpower Instinct • Available versions: Podcast • Today's episode is about building willpower, inspired by Kelly McGonigal's book, "The Willpower Instinct"
EP192. The Guide to Developing Self-Discipline • Available versions: Article | Podcast • If you lookup the definition of self-discipline, you’ll usually see something [...]
EP191. 5 Steps to Unleash Your "Success Mechanism" • This episode was inspired by one of my all-time favorite self-improvement books: "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz.
EP190. To Think Outside The Box, First Get a Box • In this episode/article combo: Learn what it takes to develop the creative habit.
EP189. The 5 Second Rule • In this episode, we'll take a quick look at the practical power of "The 5 Second Rule," created by author Mel Robbins
EP188. Action Leads to Motivation (Versions: Article + Audio) • Most people believe they need to be motivated BEFORE taking action, but they've got it backwards...
EP187. What Happens to Your Brain When You Multitask? • In this episode, you'll learn the science behind "brain-multitasking" -- and when it works vs when it doesn't.
EP186. Know Thy Time • In this episode + article combo, we'll look at some time-tested productivity wisdom from Peter Drucker, author of "The Effective Executive"
EP185. Productivity Themes • In this episode, we'll talk about using daily themes to boost your productivity. I'll also be announcing a cool new thing we'll be doing here at MeaningfulHQ.
EP184. 10 Books That'll Make You a Creative Genius • This episode + article combo is exactly what it sounds like--a breakdown of my top 10 creativity books, and some actionable insights from each.
EP183. To Create Is To Combine • The best way to create is to combine, and then re-combine your ideas and experiences. In today's podcast episode, I'll show you how.
EP181. Write it Down, Make it Happen • In this episode + article combo, I'll share 6 journaling ideas that can take your personal development game to the next level.
EP179. Happy Money • In this episode + article combo, we'll take a look at 6 science-backed strategies for happier spending.
EP178. Overcoming Envy • Do you find yourself envious of people around you more often than you’d like to admit? If so, you're definitely not alone. We've all been there at some point.
EP177. Crucial Conversations • If you've ever been involved in a conversation of any kind that started off well -- but ended up going off the rails into an emotional train-wreck [...]
EP176. Goals vs Systems • In this episode, we discuss the difference between a Goals-focus vs a Systems-focus approach to success. You'll learn how - and when - to use each to maximize your [...]
EP174. Mind Like Water • Let's discuss a core principle for achieving stress-free producitivity: getting stuff out of your head and into a trusted productivity system...
EP173. 30-Day Trials: The Secret to Starting Good Habits That Stick • 30-day trials are one of the most game-changing personal development ideas I’ve ever incorporated into my life. And today [...]
EP171. The 5 Love Languages • Love is a language, just like English and Arabic. Today, you're about to find out how to use the right language so you can take your relationship to the next level.
EP170. 30 Life Lessons Learned in 30 Years • In this episode + article combo, I'll be sharing 30 of my top life lessons learned over my first 30 years on this planet.
EP169. 3 Tricks on How to Avoid Procrastination
EP168. Meaningful Work • How closely aligned are your personal values with your professional values? In this episode, I share the story of Patagonia [...]
EP166. Feel The Fear, Take Action Anyway • Fear… It freezes people in place. And there’s only one way to avoid becoming frozen in place by fear—we must take action.
EP165. Happiness Comes From Solving Problems • This episode is all about problems... Now, most folks tend to think that problems are a bad thing. But they're not. At least not if [...]
EP164. 5 Deadliest Mistakes That Prevent You From Achieving Your Goals • In this episode, you'll learn the common mistakes most people when trying to accomplish their goals, and [...]
EP163. How To Change When Change Is Hard • No matter who you are, no matter what you’ve achieved, if you’re anything like 99.9999% of people on this planet, it’s likely that you’ve got at least one...
EP162. Pre-Suasion • In this episode, we'll discuss how to influence others through the principle of "Unity." Inspired by the book, Pre-Suasion by Robert Cialdini
EP160. Paul Smith: Sell With a Story • In this episode I'm joined by author Paul Smith, here to show us how to craft powerful stories to sell our ideas, products, and/or services to the world.
EP159. 8 Simple Ideas on Finding Your Calling • In this episode we'll discuss several simple ideas on how to find your calling, outlined in Jen Sincero's book "You Are a Badass"
EP158. Learn To Love Yourself • Do you love yourself? A surprisingly huge number of people don't. Here are 9 things that have helped me cultivate the self-love we all desire and deserve in life.
EP157. 3 Reasons Why You're Unfulfilled • If you're unfulfilled in life, or just sort of going through the motions without a meaningful sense of purpose, then there are only three reasons why [...]
EP156. Kute Blackson: You Are The One • On today's episode, get ready for a passion-fueled, straight-forward, conversation on finding your life's purpose with author Kute Blackson.
Psycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz : Book Summary • This is an article + episode combo on one of the cornerstone-books in the Self-Help genre: "Psycho Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz
EP154. You Make Mistakes--Mistakes Don't Make You • In this episode we'll talk about how to overcome failure, inspired by the classic book, Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
EP153. The 10X Rule • In this episode we'll look at 3 of my favorite big ideas from "The 10X Rule" by Grant Cardone: 1) Aim 10X higher and do 10X more...
EP152. 3 Laws to Redefine Your Life and Succeed on Your Own Terms • This episode was inspired by the book, "The Code of The Extraordinary Mind" by Vishen Lakhiani
EP151. 4 Major Keys To Achieving Your Goals (Backed by Science)
EP150. 99% is a BITCH; 100% is a BREEZE • In his book, "The Success Principles," Jack Canfield tells us that the spoils of victory go to those who make a 100% commitment to the outcome, to those...