Starting a Podcast? Top Things to Do First
The world of marketing and the media are both constantly evolving, which means that while we are in the midst of this media revolution, you need to know that you are best placed to be starting your own podcast. You might think that the podcasting market is saturated, and it can look like that on the surface, given the amount of podcasts that are out there and for which topics.
But the great thing about podcasts is that people love to listen to them, whatever they're doing and when they're on the go.Unlike other forms of content, podcasts don't require too much effort or attention to understand and learn from them.
People can listen to public costs while they are driving, while they are eating and when they are preparing meals. You can even listen to podcasts while you are on a run. To gain that kind of exposure to the right audience is not easy, but if you could do that with a podcast, then surely it’s worth starting one? With the right 12g-sdi distribution amplifier and equipment, you can get your podcast off the ground in no time at all. Finding success with podcasting is so much easier when you have something to focus on, but where should you begin? Here’s the checklist you need to make it come to life.
Image source: Pexels
- Learn what a podcast entails. So, it's not just about sitting at a table and talking a load of rubbish about what you know. Podcasts have to be scripted and carefully planned. And it's not just because there could be some litigious behavior involved if you say something that calls out an industry, a company or a person, but you have to be sure that what you're talking about makes sense and would be relevant to the audience. You also need to know which equipment you need, whether you need to get a studio or you can do it in your bedroom. And if you're going to do it at home, how you're going to do it and upload your podcast so that you get the maximum amount of traffic and hits. This learning phase doesn't have to take very long and you can add a little bit of an investment into your podcast so that you have the best quality sound. But you can pretty much start a podcast with nothing and no money. All you need is an opinion and some authoritative thinking about what you want to talk about.
- Consider your niche. What are you going to do your podcast about? What is it that you want to talk about that you are most passionate about? Creating a need for your podcast is so important because everybody has an opinion on something and there are going to be a lot of people in your sector who may know more than you do. That's just natural. What's easy though, is deciding what to talk about, because you already know what you are discussing. So if you're putting together a podcast, knowing that what you're saying is relevant and makes sense for your industry is going to bolster you to continue to make those podcasts count.We are all unique to our needs and desires, and podcasts are no different. As long as you can make sure that you are hitting your target audience exactly where they need to be hit, you're going to be ahead of the game.
- What will you call it? Another thing to consider when you are starting your own podcast is its name.You need to be able to reach people and appeal to them, and that means ensuring that the podcast name you choose is punchy, easy to read and understand, and easy to find. The name of your podcast will have a lot of impact on the success of your show because people will want to discuss your podcast with others. Choosing a name that provides satisfaction in the long run and points to what you are talking about is so important. You can use brainstorming techniques, search engines, podcast name generators and more. All you need to think about is being creative, descriptive and searchable in the name that you choose.
- Your social presence. If you're launching a podcast, you need to make sure that you have a social media presence to back it up. You need profiles on networks such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn so that you can enable potential listeners or even sponsors to be familiar with what your show is all about. If you're discussing sexual health or politics, your podcast is going to appeal to a certain audience compared to if you are discussing search engine optimization and pay per click analytics. You have to have a niche of mind and create a name. With a developed art design or logo so that you have everything ready on social media for your launch day.
- Make your announcement. If you have your socials all set up and ready to go, then you should think about an announcement post that tells people that a podcast is coming. After potential listeners have looked at your social profiles, you want to make sure that you have a link direct to them to a coming soon web page. This page.Well, eventually inform them of the plans that you have for your show, the dates they should look forward to getting the first episodes and create conversation to ensure that your brand is elevated as much as possible. Being able to link your podcast, your social media and your website together is important, so don't forget this step.
- Get your equipment ready. The content of your podcast is way more important than anything else, but you need to have the right equipment to get that podcast out there into the world. It can be so confusing when you are trying to set up a podcast for the first time, especially if you've never done it before. However, the equipment that you use doesn't have to be difficult and it can be pretty straightforward to get it all set up and ready to go. You need to invest in good podcast equipment because while you can start small and not spend out so much money, you should think about the fact that the money that you do invest at the beginning is going to have a big impact overall. Something to consider is the computer that you use noise canceling headphones and the amplifier that you use so people can hear you. You should also run several tests on your podcast before you make it go live, so that you can make sure that your audience is able to tune in and listen to what you have to say.
- Don't forget to film a trailer. Just like your announcement pages, your podcast needs to have a trailer so that people know what's coming. This trailer should detail the date that the podcast is going to be launched and how many episodes per season, and you should also consider preparing your recording equipment so that this trailer will give people a taste of what your podcast show is going to include.
- Start advertising away from your social media pages. You can think about using podcast directories to advertise your podcast. This is a list of where you can find podcasts similar to yours and different from yours. For your show to be at the top of the list, you have to make sure that it’s in as many directories as possible so that listeners can discover you quickly. Remember, you want to ensure that you are at the top of any type of search engine results page because it will make a big difference as to what people think about your podcast. Things like Spotify, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Castro, Castbox, Apple Podcast and Google Podcasts are all important.
- Don't just record one episode at a time. Something to put into practice when you start your podcast is to get as many episodes recorded as possible. You don't want your listeners to be kept waiting for too long, especially in this environment that we currently have where episodes of TV shows are all launched together so people can binge on them. If you want people to be coming back and waiting for more, then you should make sure that you release your podcast episodes at least one or two at a time. You don't want your listeners to think that you don't know what you're talking about or you're taking too long. Remember, this is a project that needs to get off the ground very quickly.
You want your podcast to be a success and you have to think about your niche,your audience and what you can bring to their listening. Your podcast will be one among many and therefore it’s vital that you are on top of what you are trying to convey to others.
—End of collaborative post—
Search for more podcasts + articles...
Best-selling Professional + personal development courses by Dean Bokhari
Top Audiobooks narrated by Dean Bokhari on audible